Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) member companies will be at International CES 2015 displaying a variety of key elements in a growing VidiPath ecosystem that will soon enable consumers to seamlessly view subscription TV content on many devices throughout the home. Following September’s launch of the VidiPath Certification Program, service providers have conducted CE interoperability testing using VidiPath reference designs, and more than 20 DLNA members have participated in VidiPath test events with products that are expected to be released during the first quarter, 2015.
“Comcast is working closely with consumer electronics manufacturers to roll out services that can be enjoyed on a broad range of VidiPath Certified products as they become available,” said Kenneth Klaer, Senior Vice President of Premise Technologies with Comcast Cable. “We are looking forward to offering our subscribers many options for viewing Comcast content on the devices they like best.”
“We are very encouraged about the cross-industry progress toward VidiPath adoption and availability of Certified consumer electronics devices,” said Steve Necessary, Vice President of Video Product and Strategy with Cox Communications. “We have been working closely with DLNA members leading up to this Certification phase and steadily upgrading our Contour service network to support VidiPath capabilities. We will be releasing our next upgrade of VidiPath capabilities by the second quarter of 2015.”
“We have been working closely with DLNA members on the VidiPath roll-out, and when Certified products hit retail shelves we will be ready to deliver content to them throughout our service footprint," said Matt Zelesko, Senior Vice President Converged Technology Group with Time Warner Cable.
“CableLabs is pleased to have our CVP-2 Server Reference Device as a part of the VidiPath Certification Test Bed”, said Tom Lookabaugh, Chief Research and Development Officer at CableLabs. “We are very supportive of the VidiPath Certification Program and the overall adoption of the DLNA CVP-2 Guidelines."
DLNA members at CES will be demonstrating the following VidiPath ecosystem elements:
- ACCESS: The company will showcase its latest VidiPath-supported solutions including integration with NetFront™ Living Connect 3.1. The additional support for the DLNA VidiPath technology on the client and server sides enables seamless and secure playback across consumer devices while allowing operators to control the user experience across all screens. The integration of the VidiPath guidelines with NetFront™ Browser BE enables consumers to securely stream their favorite TV shows and movies from their service provider set-top box (STB) to devices such as TVs, smartphones, tablets, games consoles and more within the home. Additional demonstrations of ACCESS software include integrations with the ZapperBox dongle powered by Entropic, which shows how ACCESS software embedded in HDMI dongles enables operators to quickly deploy VidiPath compliant services. See demonstrations by appointment at the ACCESS demo suite at the Bellagio Hotel.
- AwoX: The latest AwoX MULTIStriim software development kits allow the playback of live HD Pay TV channels on multiple screens everywhere in the home. The MULTIStriim Server kit is the perfect solution for cable, satellite or terrestrial gateways, and is the core of the AwoX MULTIStriim server, which is the first VidiPath-Certified Test Bed Reference Device and is used by several service providers and lead consumer electronics manufacturers. The AwoX MULTIStriim player kit enables manufacturers of TVs, set-top boxes, smartphones and tablets to implement VidiPath Guidelines while also complying with RVU 2.0 specifications. AwoX will be demonstrating both kits ported on Linux, Android, and iOS at booth 31520 in South Hall 3 of the Las Vegas Convention Center (LVCC) by appointment only.
- Broadcom: Its solutions include a VidiPath client reference design and a VidiPath server reference design using Broadcom SoCs and Broadcom-developed Nexus-Trellis set top box software, designed to support popular middleware solutions, including the new Open Source-based Reference Development Kit (RDK), for rapid porting and software development. Demonstrations by appointment only.
- Elliptic Technologies: The company’s tVault for DTCP-IP solution is showcased as part of CableLabs’ Certified VidiPath Reference Device. The content protection solution meets the DLNA Guidelines for secure deployment of premium TV content to devices in the home, and is being used by DLNA testing facilities to certify consumer electronics products to the VidiPath Guidelines.
- JetHead: The company will demonstrate its latest HTML5, VidiPath client solution running on Broadcom silicon and connected to various test servers. The JetHead client software is designed to be portable and require minimal support from each platform. The solution is developed to the VidiPath Guidelines and will start the Certification process in 2015. Demonstrations by appointment only, in the LVCC, South Hall 2, MP25382 private suite.
- Silicondust USA Inc.: The company will be demonstrating its HDHomeRun brand of Live Streaming Digital Media Servers (DMS), including OTA/Satellite/Cable solutions with DTCPIP content protection. The solutions will enable content to be viewed throughout the home network using client devices and applications that support Live TV rendering. See more at suite 2866 at the Westgate Hotel.
DLNA is also looking to the future with VidiPath. The organization addresses many different industry standards for streaming, including SCTE, CEA, SMPTE, DECE and ATSC. Current technical work with industry partners is focused on developing standards-based solution for streaming 4K/Ultra-HD TV profiles that will be included in the DLNA Guidelines by the second quarter of 2015, enabling users to view content on multiple devices in the home with at least four times the resolution of today's typical full HD 1080p formats.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
For editors interested in meeting with DLNA executives while they are at International CES 2015, please contact email@example.com to schedule a briefing.